Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Our God is an Awesome God

Yesterday was just an awesome day for so many. We had prayed the night before during our devotion that we would have a truly "God moments" and we had that yesterday I have no doubt we will continue to have them. We left on the bus yesterday with the intent to go to Buena Vista. We were going to distribute beans and rice in the village, paint the church, have a puppet church, distribute school supplies/soccer uniforms and hold a vbs. Once we arrived, the pastor of the Buena Vista church recommended that we drive to the village of La Gracia. So we handed out some soccer uniforms, suppplies and uniforms. We told the families that we would be back in a couple of hours for VBS. We left for La Gracia which was about 30 minutes away. I was really excited because I have been sponsoring a little girl named Sara for 3 years. I never thought that I would have a chance to meet her. I thought she lived too far away. But God knew. I thought the chances of seeing her in the village would be slim....but God knew. We entered the beautiful village (can't wait to share the pictures! There were kids playing soccer. Terry and Samantha approached the coach - who we later found out was the principal of the school and from Colorado. We asked if we could hand out beans and rice and talk about Word of God. I also asked about Sara Polanco. He said he knew her and called her over. I couldn't believe I was meeting her. Her brother was there also. Then we started walking the village. The very first house my group walked up to....I asked "do you know where Sara Polanco lives". The woman said "she lives here". I told her that I was Sara's sponsor. She said "Are you Sheila". Then she she asked how my two kids were. I was so overwhelmed. We spend a lot of time. She and her husband have 6 kids. They have a very small house. She graciously gave us a watermelon and tomatoes in exchange for the beans and rice we gave them. She told me a story that they believe that when a bird hangs around their house, they believe someone special is coming. They have had a bird hanging around and they didn't know who was coming since all their family had visited. She said that special someone was me. It was a WONDERFUL day. Then as we left the village Rhonda was able to spend time with the Brown family in Buena Vista. This is a family she connected with. She was able to deliver two bikes to the boys. The joy in that family was just so amazing. Our God is so amazing. There is no way we could have planned this day yesterday....only GOD.

Sheila Johnson

No comments: