Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Another Happy Day

Tuesday was our "quick turn around/roller coaster of emotions" day. Our schedule was packed. The puppet team performed at the open market for about two hours, returned for ten minutes to fill water bottles at the camp, and jumped back on the bus to visit a nearby "squatter village" to pass out beans, rice and powdered milk.

The beautiful little village was named Camalote. Nothing could have prepared my heart for what I would experience here. I had viewed the photos from the visit last year. I knew what to "expect" but I was still overcome with emotion at meeting these beautiful, smiling, grateful people.

We each loaded our shoulders with food, toys and school packs and began our walk. We were told to watch our feet as we walked for slithering visitors and to be aware of dogs. Our team divided into groups and began to walk the dirt paths (not even streets because these people have stopped here in an effort to provide a better life for their families...they don't own the land).

We were blessed to have a young girl named Heidi (pronounced 'Hay-dee') to guide us to the homes. Another little boy ran alongside us and wanted to help. He seemed to stay beside me so I asked his name. His name was Denison. It made me smile as I explained that my name (Denise) is so close to his.

When we approached the second house I learned that this was the home of Becky's sponsored boys. Their mother was grateful and asked that we "pray for help to build a new house because soon this one will fall down and we will not have a place to live." We gathered around her, held hands as a group, and prayed together. She smiled in gracefulness.

The next house was much more "broken". You must know that these homes are simple materials combined to provide shelter. The home consisted of two sections with open doorways covered by fabric. The floors were dirt. She invited us into her kitchen area where we prayed. Her prayer request was: "Ask God for another happy day."

I was overwhelmed. How many times do I forsake joy? How often do I choose to worry and fear when happiness is a better choice.

As we walked away, Denison by my side, I leaned down to him and asked, "Denison, how do you say 'happy' in Spanish?" He quickly replied with his beautiful accent and bright smile, "content".

Now the prayer had new meaning...

"God give us another CONTENT day."

No comments: