Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Children, iguanas, and Christ oh my

Our team has been here for a few days now. We have settled in at the compound. Nothing is like what I expected!
I expected to have a hand sized spider crawl across the table at breakfast; instead we have lizards and toads the size of personal pan pizzas. (Neither has been on the table.). I thought we would have bugs crawling all over us in our sleep. They haven't been to bad. (Brooke did save Becky and Gerri from a 4" dragonfly.). I have not been chased by any snakes or crocodiles, yet.

We have only seen one iguana so far, not counting the plastic one inside the dining hall. (last night Yvette prepared us iguana and iguana eggs with dinner.) The egg was not anything I would ever choose to eat again...it was all yolk and gritty. The meat was very tasty, but it had a lot of fine bones similar to fish. When we passed out food, hygiene, and school supply packs some of the families gifted us with oranges and coconuts. I tried the fresh coconut water straight from the coconut...never again!

There are so many children here! It is heart breaking to see them wearing shoes that are worn out, if any shoes at all. Most of the children we have seen have been cleaner than I expected. In the poorer village we visited yesterday there were some exceptions. I've been warned that the children in the squatter villages will probably not be so clean.

Jesus is at work here. At the Sunday evening service I heard the sweetest music ever! The blend of the accents singing their heart out to Christ was amazing! He is working in me too! I can't begin to describe how blessed I have already been by this trip, even before we left!

No comments: